family

I recently helped my Mother sort and scan piles of old photographs which belonged to my late Oma Henrika and Opa Albertus. 

In 1956, Oma and Opa migrated to Australia from Holland with their 3 children at the time, including my Mother who was 4 years old. They travelled by boat, along with hundreds of other people and families who were looking for new opportunity in Australia. 

Below is a selection of photographs, which I have found absolutely beautiful. Not only because it is my family history, but also have been swept up in daydreaming about the time and place in which the photograph was taken.

You will notice several photographs are on the ocean, or looking down to people on the dock waving goodbye. These photographs were taken by my Opa, documenting the 6 week journey to Australia.

I love the discoloured and tattered edges of the photographs, and could not bare to crop or adjust them. Over a 50 year period who knows how many photographs have been lost, never to be seen again. I'm overjoyed that I've had the opportunity to scan and archive these photographs for many more decades to come.